Friday 7 December 2012

Week 8 - 07 Dec 2012 - Fri

38th day at SSMC.

Today, I have compiled everything that I have done for this week in a PowerPoint. In the PowerPoint, the details that I have included are:

-Mind map on how the Excel files' spreadsheet are linked that is where did the macro extract data from and where did it insert into.
-Detail breakdown of the macros' functions and the changes and improvements that I have done.

There is too much to share if I were to share everything in detail, thus I will briefly describe what I've done.

I have a total of 9 macros from 2 Excel files database.

For macro 6, 7 and 9, currently, I am not able to replace or edit them as I still couldn't find a way to insert data on a daily basis using formula. As formula will have cells to reference from, thus how can I update today's data without altering yesterday's data as the source of the data being extracted are the same. Can you really understand what I am talking about?

For macro 2, 3 and 8, I have fully replaced them with formula. There is a part after macro 2 where users have to manually key in the comments which is to differentiate the automotive and non-automotive parts. And as I have mentioned in yesterday's post, I had successfully created a formula to differentiate the data.

So, for these 3 macros, I have reduced the time wasted on the execution of macro by eliminating the macro, as well as reduced time wastage on manually entering of data. And results are obtained instantly after data is being pasted into the spreadsheets.

Next, for macro 4 and 5, I have combined their functions into 1 macro and also some formula are used. Macro 4 was to extract data from text file and insert into spreadsheet. As for macro 5, it was supposed to insert new columns of data after macro 4 have inserted the data, as well as to calculate values from the data.

However, I have managed to used formula to used formula to insert the new columns of data (like the ones mentioned in previous paragraphs) and also to calculate the values that are carried out by macro 5.

Moreover, I have edited macro 4's programming so that it will not alter my formula on the newly insert columns. I guess this part is also confusing for you.

Lastly, for macro 1, I just merely edited its programming, similar to macro 4, so that it will not alter the formula I've created to replace macro 2.

This is about all for today. (^^)

No comments:

Post a Comment